Translate

Monday, July 2, 2012

BOOK CLUB ONLINE!




On the last day of school this year, a student left a torn, worn copy of The Lovely Bones novel in my classroom.  I asked her if she wanted it, she said, "Nope. It's trash; I read it already."  Trash?  I don't think so!  It's my summer read!  I took it home and thought I wouldn't enjoy it because she sort of told me it was about a girl who dies and narrates the story from heaven.  While it's not my type of fiction, (I prefer realistic fiction), I thought I'd give it a shot (mainly because it was free!)


You know what?  I loved it!  Riveting is the word I would use.  The author does a great job of creating what is seemingly a narrative, but due to the narrator's position in heaven and consequential ability to be everywhere unseen, it reads as omniscient point of view.  Wonderfully handled, I think.

What do you think?  Have you read it?  If not, give it a try and come back and post your thoughts.

(It's also a movie, but I refuse to watch the film until I've read the book - so let's only discuss the book here...and discuss the movie in a different post.)

No comments:

Post a Comment